If anyone caught the recent Tony Awards, Hamilton quite literally stole the show, taking home multiple trophies, impressing with its live numbers, and also being the occasion few got to see creator Lin-Manuel Miranda perform before announcing his departure. As a result, whether Hamiton’s on Broadway or touring, it’s one of the year’s must-see shows.
A musical production about one the Founding Fathers, Hamilton began as a vision when Miranda was performing In The Heights. Miranda started reading the biography written by Ron Chernow during this time and started envisioning Alexander Hamilton’s life as a musical. Acting on this, Miranda created a few of the numbers as a musical “mixtape,” which he then performed at the White House Poetry Jam.
By 2015, Hamilton made its official debut as an Off-Broadway show, which quickly sold out. Its near-instant success helped it then move up to Broadway, where it has played its run at the Richard Rodgers Theater. Word-of-mouth and high demand led to unprecedented advance ticket sales for Hamilton’s Broadway shows.
By early 2016, the show received 16 Tony nominations. At the awards show, it won 11, including Best Musical. Further, it showed it connected with a younger audience by winning the 2016 Grammy for Best Musical Theater Album and the 2016 Pulitzer Prize for Drama.
What’s made a musical about a Founding Father such a hit? While, like many modern musicals, the production is primarily made up of musical numbers, with some dialog in between, Miranda decided to keep the period look, down to the sets and costumes, but used Black and Hispanic actors to play prominent historical figures. About this decision, Miranda’s previously told the press that this casting choice, one, reflects the United States’ diverse population and, two, makes it more relatable.
While Miranda’s moved onto other projects, Hamilton has made its mark. To find all Hamilton tickets, search CapitalCityTickets.com for dates, times, and prices.
- Hamilton Fabulous Fox Theatre – Atlanta
- Hamilton Boston Opera House
- Hamilton Belk Theatre at Blumenthal Performing Arts Center
- Hamilton CIBC Theatre
- Hamilton KeyBank State Theatre
- Hamilton Segerstrom Center For The Arts – Segerstrom Hall
- Hamilton The Buell Theatre
- Hamilton Des Moines Civic Center
- Hamilton Sarofim Hall – Hobby Center
- Hamilton The Smith Center
- Hamilton Pantages Theatre – CA
- Hamilton Richard Rodgers Theatre
- Hamilton Keller Auditorium
- Hamilton George S. and Dolores Dore Eccles Theater
- Hamilton San Diego Civic Theatre
- Hamilton Paramount Theatre – Seattle
- Hamilton Fabulous Fox Theatre – St. Louis
- Hamilton Gammage Auditorium
- Hamilton Kennedy Center Opera House